Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Evenings at South Mountain

If I have a free evening to hike, I usually spend it in south mountain park, here in Phx. It's far too convenient than to seek alternatives. Despite my frequency in visits, I never regret the return. Over many years I've discovered (for myself) several places, each with their own set of activities akin to the set of obstacles found therein.



 I keep pretty close to the 7th street entrance, either taking Holbert trail up to one of the washes or immediately heading off-trail up to the Lion Head rock formation. The latter offers great scrambling, both class 3 and 4 moves, on rocks the size of vehicles or small houses. I thrive on moving quickly and streamlined over their rough faces, plotting the next several maneuvers to the subsequent obstacle. Often times I'm faced with the dwindling sun, quickly retreating from the horizon, with shadows stretching longer and silence growing louder. All I hear is the faint shuffling of my shoes on the crag, perhaps a few pebbles bouncing down to the canyon below, each dislodged with a renewed freedom. The silence keeps me company. And in those fleeting traces of my busy worldly day I am at ease. 


 My mind races with iterative thoughts and speculation of new routes and paths through this maze that lies before me. I do not see danger, but I know and respect its lingering presence as it waits on my shoulder, sometimes whispering subtle doubt, but often times encouraging the curiosity within. I understand my weaknesses yet I push them just aside to view what resides just beyond its boundary. Beauty. And solace. I find God in each of these moments.

 Perhaps one day I will muster up the courage to ascend up that chimney that lies to the east of the lion's face. Perhaps one day I might be able to scale up its lower, 100 ft sheer face that looks as smooth as polished marble. In the meantime, I will continue to scope and understand its intricacies. I know my limitations when I come in here alone.

A little slice of wilderness within the bounds of a sprawling city. 


1 comment:

Tekir said...

This is a great blog, very informative, and full of beautiful pictures! thanks for sharing your experiences with us.