Thursday, October 21, 2010

Test-driving gear with a weekend camping trip!

Well, it had to happen at some point... I'm sick as a dog. I've been eagerly trying to push this lil' bug out of me for the past two weeks and it feels as though it has its own timetable. There goes marathon training; there goes my mileage for the week; hopefully I still have somewhat of a decent base to get back into it. I've felt pretty crummy since last week, and I think the weekend up in the chilly pine trees was enough to set me back. Boohoo, right? Hehe, anyways, that allows me some time to get back to this work-in-progress.

On the gear front, I've been holding steady to grabbing some good deals on new and slightly-used gear. Since I first started a couple years back, I have kept track of every little purchase from REI, ebay, or the likes to track my effective savings percentage. It helps that I've been patient enough to wait for the big seasonal clearance sales to snatch up some decently-priced items. Up to date, I have managed to save 30.29% on average across the board... which leaves me some extra WAM (walking-around money) to take out my sweet lady now and then. I'm sure she appreciates that! ;-)

Sierra Trading Post
Oregon Mountain Community
Moosejaw
and most importantly:
REI and REI-Outlet

I can't even begin to recount the number of rei deal-of-the-days I've jumped in on. They're usually pretty solid if you're looking to snatch up random items to complete your arsenal. And if sizing, style, function doesn't work out, they ALWAYS take it back -- such a wonderful policy. For me, this new adventure is pegged on acquiring reliable, safe, quality gear for my arsenal. I'm not only looking to acquire the essentials to ensure a successful Rainier climb, but to get some good use out of the stuff, locally in our 12,000' Arizona mountains and maybe Colorado, if we (the sweet lady and I) ever happen to end up there. It's been really nice, not having to rush any purchases and hold out for only the best deals.
On a side note, I now have two pairs, yes two pairs, of crampons... so anyone who is willing to try a few Humphreys ascents with me this winter is good to go! Anyone?... Anyone?... :::crickets:::: Bueler?... Speaking of Humphreys, they received their first dumping of snow for the season, which is likely to melt off before I can finish this sentence, but hey, at least it's finally starting to become that time of year! Man, do I love winter!... says the Phoenician who has never shoveled snow in his life or spent an hour trying to defrost the car in the morning for work. Yeah, Yeah :-D
Recently, we took a fun trip with some friends up to the Mogollon Rim up in the high-country. It's a nice 2.5 hr drive from the bowels of sunny Phoenix to reach the crisp mountain air. Leading up to the trip, we were all concerned with how the weather was going to play out, with estimates of heavy rain, thunderstorms and well-below averages in temps. I, on the other hand, was kind of excited, since I had just received my new allotment of shell clothing -- this would be the perfect time to actually test drive the goods in the high-30's, low-40's range. I was able to test the Mountain Hardware soft shell, which worked perfect. I was able to sweat in it while chopping firewood without any resulting chills when I was hanging out afterward. I even slept in it one night while in my +20 degree bag, which also performed well -- unfortunately, I'll be needing something a lil' warmer for Camp Muir and especially the night on the glacier itself, but I can honestly recommend the REI down bags.

Prior to leaving town, I also scored another good deal on an insulated, inflatable sleeping pad. I had some serious doubts in their claims, but apparently the insulation R-value is 6... which is nuts for airpads (to put into perspective, most of the other inflatable pads are in the 2-3 range). The Exped SynMat 9 collapses down to small coffee-can size, isn't too heavy, and at 80 bucks I had to jump on that (well, softly, as not to puncture it). My lady liked it enough that I went ahead and reserved one for her too -- they sold out pretty quickly thereafter.

Here are a few snaps from our weekend away...




Krystal and I: We are both happy people!

The first gang at breakfast the first morning. We had six other friends join us later in the day.

The five of us originals set out to explore the vast, distinct edges of the Rim.

We really lucked out this trip, experiencing zero rain in our vicinity.

What an incredible sunset from the Mogollon Rim!

On the last day, we explored a bit of the Woods Canyon Lake shoreline. What an awesome weekend!

All in all, fun times! Thank you, Krystal, Aaron, Andy, Amanda, Steve, Rachel, Larry, Lynnette, Dan and Camay!

No comments: