Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Settled on Boots, marthon training, and Causes to Support


Well, it's been awhile since I've had time to post anything. So much has happened in the last few weeks... where to begin...

These Boots were made for... long approaches and steep ice travel
I finally locked down on my boot selection. I purchased the Scarpa Mont Blanc's online and was crushed to find that their European size 45 was just too small to tolerate. Unless I were to go barefoot, there just was not enough 'breathing' room in them puppies. Rather than go through the lengthy exchange process, I opted to buy another pair in a half-size up and compare side-by-side. This proved quite effective! I brought them home last night and walked around in one of each paired on opposite feet and what a difference a European half-size makes. I've settled on a good sock setup too, going with a standard REI liner sock and choice between the Smartwool Mountaineering socks and the Merino Comfort Hikers from Wigwam. Either way I slice it, these babies feel amazing!... like walking on several wool sweaters. Best of all, they fit snugly and comfortably within my boots. 

For my next acquisition, I am looking at gloves. I stopped in at REI to size some of their gloves, even though I couldn't find any thing heavy duty enough for cold weather. According to the recommended gear list, I am looking at a three layer option: synthetic liner glove, and a hardshell glove with an additional insulated, removable liner. In early spring, temperatures at Camp Muir (10,100') can range from sub-zero to 30+ degrees, so versatility is a must. From there it only gets colder higher up in the glaciers -- there's still 4,300' of elevation to ascend to the summit crest. Right now, my biggest decision is to choose between mitts or gloves. The biggest differentiator is far more warmth at the expense of limited mobility, and in this case walking with an ice axe and an ascender doesn't require too much dexterity.

Next up... the marathon
In addition to training for Rainier, I have finally caved to the pressure of running the local marathon in January. My folks have been avid runners for a number of years and I could only assume my time was up after my brother decided to join their ranks. Though I'd say he and I are cut from different cloth, he being a phenomenal musician and I retaining much of the math smarts, he and I are competitive when our interests align. Once decided, he set off in his rigorous training ways, much in the similar fashion to when he was marching in drum corps and [currently] the way he inflicts discipline and athleticism into the squirly lil' kids he molds into fine musicians at one of the local high schools he teaches at. That being said, I really had no choice but to follow suit. Oye.

So far, I have one week of marathon training under my belt -- 16 miles and some change. Not bad, considering I never used to run anything over 2 miles at a time. Given a rough calculation, I have roughly 16 weeks to prepare for the full 26.2 miles of torture. Tonight I racked up 6+ miles before the treadmill I was on decided that 60 minutes was long enough to run for. I can already feel how painful this is going to be -- my knees ache every time I slow down from my pace, but I can finally say that my asthma is noticeably subsiding. Who would have thought that all I needed to do to remedy my weezing and constricted breathing was to simply build good old fashioned cardiovascular endurance??? I still wont concede that that makes any sense, but it feels great. I have started to understand why marathon runners that I've noticed over the years get emotional throughout the race. Running at a pace for longer than 60 minutes really does take a toll on one's mental state. I think it's going to be a long, hard road ahead, but ultimately I think this is going to pay off for my summer climbing preparations. Plus, I'll officially be apart of that group of people who have taken up their running shoes in the dawn hours and put sheer work and perseverance into the pavement. Wish me luck :-)

Causes that Need Support
Over the past few weeks, since I first decided that it was time to pursue my dream of climbing Rainier, something about the trip has weighed on my heart. Stepping back for a second from this personal desire to climb a mountain, I have felt conviction that there might be something that I can do to help to give back. Even though this may not directly count as service or giving, I have been considering maybe using this opportunity to help raise money and support for a cause. Last week, Krystal (my beautiful and amazing girlfriend) and I watched a documentary on the impact of the Sierra Leone conflict during the its 11 year run. Unfortunately this conflict was not unique in our world and there are many, many corrupt and savage people taking advantage of people and their livelihood for the sake of money and power. However, what caught my eye and ultimately tugged my heart strings, was this footage of a group of optimistic and positive refugee people, banding together and expressing their angst, frustrations and sadness through song and dance. The group is now known as the Sierra Leone Allstar Refugees, thanks to the work and backing of some empathetic film directors who followed them around in their daily lives in both the refugee camps of Guinea and Freetown, Sierra Leone. It was remarkably inspiring, even though difficult to watch at times. This is was really the final tug that cemented my desire to find a way to turn this climbing experience into a way to raise support for those in need. 

Now, I am faced with the [welcome] dilemma of finding which organization or cause to raise money for. After viewing the documentary, it is hard to look past the abundant and ceaseless need of those across the pond... And here, across the pond could refer to the Atlantic and Pacific. There are unfortunately endless opportunities for need in southeast Asia as well as Africa. At the same time, I'm also worried about people launching the incessant remark asking why send money to other parts of the world, when it is needed here locally. To that, I can agree -- the needs of our local less-fortunate is ever abundant. I think we should always be looking for ways to address needs in our community, especially through good old fashioned community service. Time, when multiplied across a large network of willing people can do amazing things -- just look at Habitat for Humanity or even Andre House and Paz de Cristo, two of our largest food kitchens for the homeless. I am open to suggestions from here on, but I would like to have a group in mind before the end of the year. Whether I can help to raise a hundred bucks or a thousand, I think it would be awesome to try. I already have what I need for my accommodations and gear set aside so anything raised will simply be going straight to a worthy charity or cause :-). This actually makes me even more excited to do the climb! Who knows, I will probably be more apt to not back out, given a cause larger than just a personal goal propelling me forward. With that, I implore everyone to donate a lil' fraction of your time (or more if your awesome!) to giving back to others -- It transcends religion or politics or what-have-you. Until next time... adios

Cheers!
slras-sticker-banner.jpg

No comments: